Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Happy Hollows


The badasses above are none other than The Happy Hollows, if not apparent enough by the big blue letters underneath them. They are from, well...I haven't quite figured that out yet, Los Angeles, I can easily assume, specifically, I'm not sure, but from a place they like to call Negahdariland, CA. The Happy Hollows is comprised of the beautiful and talented guitarist/vocalist Sarah Negahdari (makes sense now, right?), bassist/keyboardist/vocalist Charlie Mahoney and drummer/backing vocalist Chris Hernandez. Their music is nothing short of raw, awesome (dare I say rawesome? yay for port-manteaux), energetic and just great. I was fortunate enough to catch them live opening for the Silversun Pickups, and their performance speaks for them to an even further extent. Sarah's performing almost made me think of Karen O (of Yeah Yeah Yeahs) if she played guitar on stage. Charlie's performing reminded me somewhat of when I saw Q And Not U perform. Chris is a very talented drummer and his performance makes it seem like his drumming is effortless and he enjoys himself A LOT. In fact, you can tell they all love playing. I can easily say that now, I love listening and watching. So far, The Happy Hollows have released 2 EPs and a Limited Edition 7-inch (or..at least that's what I know). One entitled Bunnies & Bombs, available through iTunes, and various other digital musical outlets (or, um...these:
Emusic, Napster and Rhapsody. ), and the other entitled Imaginary, available for FREE! (or pay what you want), but free if you put 5 of your coolest, raddest, most awesomest, closest friends' e-mail addresses (because you're no friend if you don't introduce them to The Happy Hollows) into the little widget thing that can be found below, then you will receive the album via e-mail. Also, if you like vinyl, you can buy the 7-inch! (which I would have done at the show had I money. Damn economic recession, otherwise known as the American Economy's scapegoat.) Before I go off on a tangent, LISTEN TO THE HAPPY HOLLOWS, NOW!

Tell your friends about them. Tell your parents about them. Tell your grandparents about them. Tell your professors, your coworkers, your dog, your cat, your chinchilla, that one relative you haven't really talked to in 12 years but call occasionally to borrow money that you never pay back and tell them about The Happy Hollows!!!

Add them on myspace.com/thehappyhollows.

Here's the Imaginary EP download thingy.




For those in the Los Angeles area, catch them at the Troubadour on May 14th w/ Afternoons and warpaint

No comments:

Post a Comment